The end of summer is beginning to pop it’s wee head over the horizon, and while I do not want to wish away our warmer months – it’s hard to not focus on going to university in September.
If you’re like me, and moving out for education, here’s a list of some things to consider packing when moving out!
As a girl who’s lived on her own before, and is now leaving home again to go to the city, I know first hand that it can lead to quite the mix of emotions: excitement, overwhelming anxiety, worry, stress, etc. We tend to learn as we go, however it’s best to be as prepared as possible.
What to pack:
For your room:
- Clothes and shoes: don’t pack everything you own. Only what you know you’ll need and wear, student accommodation doesn’t host a lot of storage!
- PJ’s: fire alarms happen, so makes sure you’ve got pj’s you don’t mind others seeing, as well as decent slippers and a dressing gown.
- Sliders: because what uni accommodation floor is clean enough for bare feet?
- Jewellery/watch that you wear.
- Bedding: duvet, sheets, pillowcases and extras for washing days! Also consider mattress topper/protector, and a cushion.
- Lighting: bedside lamp, desk lamp, book light and fairy lights, are all things to consider.
- Warmth: blanket and hot water bottle.
- Books: your old favourite, as well as a few on your TBR list to keep you going when you’re not studying, as you might not have space for your whole collection.
- Storage: Ottoman, under the bed storage boxes, desk tidy, hangers
- Keepsakes: having some keepsakes will help with the homesickness, take your favourite photographs and knick-knacks from home to make it cosier.
- Alarm clock
- Speaker and headphones
- Desk fan
For your bathroom
- Towels, facecloths, and sponges
- Shampoo, conditioner & body wash
- Plenty of loo roll
- Bath/shower mat
- Products: deodorant, perfume/aftershave, make up, make up remover, hair care products, skincare products, contact lens solution, hand soap
- Sanitary products
- Hair styling tools (straighteners, hair dryer, crimpers, rollers, curlers etc),
- Shower speaker
- Toothbrush (and extras in case someone needs to stay over!), toothpaste and holder
- Manicure set
- Medication: any meds you take, cold & flu tablets, painkillers for those dreaded hangovers, vitamins
- Storage: keep it all tidy!
For your kitchen
Check to see what your accommodation includes, but here is a list of things you may need (apart from your food shopping!)
- Pots, pans, wok and oven tray
- Utensils: bottle opener/corkscrew, grater, spatula, slotted spoon, fish slice, ladle, whisk, sieve, colander, wooden spoon, peeler, tin opener etc.
- Chopping boards (one for meat, fish, vegetables & possibly one for bread)
- Tupperware, foil and cling film
- Glasses and mugs (a couple of each, but beware they might get broken at parties!)
- Plates, bowls and side plates
- Oven gloves
- Herbs and spices (okay so food shopping, but still, these are easy to forget!)
- Dish cloth, sponges, dish brush, tea towels
- Ice tray
- Coffee machine, kettle, smoothie maker
- Cleaning products: surface cleanser, duster, cloth, bleach, bathroom spray, glass cleaner, bin bags, washing up liquid
For your studies
- Laptop, with charger
- USB and external hard drive
- Any books you need for your course: textbooks/reading list
- Backpack or bag of choice
- Notebooks (I’d start with two or three!)
- Study planner / diary
- Stationery: pens, pencils, highlighters, pencil case, sticky notes, erasers, TipEx, stapler/staples
- Scissors and glue: for any project that might arise
- Printer: you will usually be given printer allowance at your college or university, however if it’s something you use a lot then having one of your own may be handy!
Other Miscellaneous Items
- ID: passport, drivers license, YoungScot card, National Insurance Number
- Documents: Insurance documents, university acceptance letter, bank details/statement, student finance,
- Beer Pong / pack of cards / drinking games
- Travel mug: for those mornings you’re running late
- Water bottle / flask
- Chargers, extra wires and power bank
- Camera, charger and SD card
- Extension lead
- Game console / sport equipment
- List of important numbers: in case you lose your phone!
Have I missed anything?
Good luck on your move, and your studies! x
Header Image by Element5 via Unsplash.